The Lord Is My Strength and My Shield

October 24.

The Lord is my strength, and my shield; my heart
trusted in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart
greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I
praise Him.

PSALM 28, verse 7.


Well may Thy happy children cease
From restless wishes, prone to sin,
And, in Thy own exceeding peace,
Yield to Thy daily discipline.

A. L. WARING.


Talk of hair-cloth shirts, and scourgings, and
sleeping on ashes, as means of saintship! There is no need
of them in our country. Let a woman once look at her domestic
trials as her hair-cloth, her ashes, her scourges,--accept them,
--rejoice in them,--smile and be quiet,
silent,patient, and loving under them,
--and the convent can teach her no more;
she is a victorious saint.

H. B. STOWE.


Perhaps it is a greater energy of Divine Providence, which keeps the
Christian from day to day, from year to year--praying, hoping, running,
believing--against all hindrances--which maintains him as a living
martyr, than that which bears him up for an hour in sacrificing himself at
the stake.

R. CECIL.

Popular Posts