Thy Will Be Done

October 23.


Teach me to do Thy will; for Thou art my God:
Thy spirit is good; lead me
into the land of uprightness.

PSALM 143, verse 10.


The battle of our life is won,
And heaven begun,
When we can say, "Thy will be done!"
But, Lord, until
These restless hearts in Thy deep love are still,
We pray Thee, "Teach us how to do Thy will!"

LUCY LARCOM.


"You are seeking your own will, my daughter.
You are seeking some good other than
the law you are bound to obey. But how
will you find good? It is not a thing of choice;
it is a river that flows from the foot of the
Invisible Throne, and flows by the path of
obedience. I say again, man cannot choose his duties.
You may choose to forsake your duties, and
choose not to have the sorrow they bring.
But you will go forth, and what will you find,
my daughter? Sorrow without duty--bitter herbs,
and no bread with them."

GEORGE ELIOT.


However dark and profitless, however painful and
weary, existence may have become, life is
not done, and our Christian character
is not won, so long as God has anything
left for us to suffer, or anything
left for us to do.

F. W. ROBERTSON.

Popular Posts