God's Purposes

February 18.

It is good for me that I have been
afflicted; that I might learn Thy statutes.

PSALM 99, verse 71.


But though He cause grief yet
will He have compassion,
according to the multitude
of His mercies.

LAMENTATIONS 3, verse 32.


And yet these days of dreariness are sent us
from above;
They do not come in anger,
but in faithfulness and love;
They come to teach
us lessons which bright ones could not yield,
And to leave us blest and thankful
when their purpose is fulfilled.

ANONYMOUS.


Heed not distressing thoughts when they rise
ever so strongly in thee; nay,though they have
entered thee, fear them not, but be still
awhile, not believing in the power which thou
feelest they have over thee, and it will fall on
a sudden. It is good for thy spirit, and greatly
to thy advantage, to be much and variously
exercised by the Lord. Thou dost not know
what the Lord hath already done, and what
He is yet doing for thee therein.

I. PENINGTON.


Why should I start at the plough of my Lord,
that maketh deep furrows on my soul?
I know He is no idle husbandman,
He purposeth a crop.

S. RUTHERFORD.

Popular Posts