Freedom Is Holy


America (My Country, 'Tis of Thee)

Text: Samuel F. Smith, 1808-1895


1. My country,' tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing;
land where my fathers died,
land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountainside let freedom ring!


2. My native country, thee,
land of the noble free, thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
thy woods and templed hills;
my heart with rapture thrills, like that above.


3. Let music swell the breeze,
and ring from all the trees sweet freedom's song;
let mortal tongues awake;
let all that breathe partake;
let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.


4. Our fathers' God, to thee,
author of liberty, to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright
with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.



Freedom is holy. God is the author of freedom.

There is much I can say on the subject, and I will in upcoming blog posts. But for now I will simply say that love is liberating.

A wise man once said that good permits us to be wrong. Evil forces us to be right.

God created choice and the freedom to choose, so that there might be love. Thereby we can willingly choose to do right, to be kind, to love another, or to love Him.

Without love, there is only compulsion, pressure, and slavery. Even the atoms are not free: they must obey scientific laws. Thus they cannot love. Only humans can be free to love.

In this blog I quoted the beautiful song America, and my favorite stanza is the last. So I repeat it again.
This time, as you read it, please see that the type of people who founded America and gave us our marvelous system of laws were people who loved God and loved others, and wished us to be free.

4. Our fathers' God, to thee,
author of liberty, to thee we sing;
long may our land be bright
with freedom's holy light;
protect us by thy might, great God, our King.

Popular Posts