My Soul Before her God Lieth Still




April 13.

In all these things we are more than
conquerors through Him that loved us.

ROMANS 8, verse 37.


Thus my soul before her God
Lieth still, nor speaketh more,
Conqueror thus o'er pain and wrong,
That once smote her to the core;
Like a silent ocean, bright
With her God's great praise and light.

J. J. WINCKLER.


My mind is forever closed against embarrassment
and perplexity, against uncertainty, doubt,
and anxiety; my heart against grief and desire.
Calm and unmoved, I look down on all things,
for I know that I cannot explain a single event,
nor comprehend its connection with that which
alone concerns me. In His world all things prosper;
this satisfies me, and in this belief I stand fast
as a rock. My breast is steeled against annoyance
on account of personal offences and vexations,
or exultation in personal merit; for my whole
personality has disappeared in the contemplation
of the purpose of my being.

J. G. FICHTE.

Popular Posts