Thou Must Wait For Life To Be Measured Out By The Father


April 25.


Surely, I have behaved and quieted myself,

as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul

is even as a weaned child.


PSALM 131, verse 2.



Quiet, Lord, my froward heart,

Make me teachable and mild,

Upright, simple, free from art,

Make me as a weaned child;

From distrust and envy free,

Pleased with all that pleaseth Thee.


J. NEWTON.



Oh! look not after great things:

small breathings,

small desires after the Lord,

if true and pure,

are sweet beginnings of life.

Take heed of despising

"the day of small things,"

by looking after some great visitation,

proportionable to thy distress,

according to thy eye.

Nay, thou must become a child;

thou must lose thy own will quite by degrees.

Thou must wait for life

to be measured out by the Father,

and be content with what proportion,

and at what time,

He shall please to measure.


I. PENINGTON.



"When Israel was a child, then I loved him" (Hosea xi. 1).

Aim to be ever this little child, contented with what

the Father gives of pleasure or of play; and when

restrained from pleasure or from play, and led for

a season into the chamber of sorrow, rest quiet

on His bosom, and be patient, and smile, as one

who is nestled in a sweet and secure asylum.


ANONYMOUS.


Popular Posts