How To Find Inspiration

See that ye refuse not Him that speaketh.

HEBREWS 12, verse 25.


From the world of sin and noise
And hurry I withdraw;
For the small and inward voice
I wait with humble awe;
Silent am I now and still,
Dare not in Thy presence move;
To my waiting soul reveal
The secret of Thy love.

Charles WESLEY.


When therefore the smallest instinct
or desire of thy heart calleth thee
towards God, and a newness of life,
give it time and leave to speak; and
take care thou refuse not Him that speaketh.
Be retired, silent, passive,
and humbly attentive to
this new risen light within thee.

William LAW.


It is hardly to be wondered at that
he should lose the finer consciousness
of higher powers and deeper feelings,
not from any behavior in itself
wrong, but from the hurry, noise,
and tumult in the streets of life, that,
penetrating too deep into the house of life,
dazed and stupefied the silent
and lonely watcher in the chamber of conscience,
far apart. He had no time
to think or feel.

G. MACDONALD.

Roland's comment

My happiest days are when I begin the day
reading something inspiring. The instant something
awakens me to realization, I immediately put down
what I was reading and take up pen and paper
or keyboard. I begin to write a flow or stream
of consciousness of noble ideas that flow one
upon the other, which began with the inspiring sentence.
But if I begin the day getting lost in reading too much,
surfing the net or busy with some worldly thing,
I lose the delicate sweet savor of having
responded to the still small voice.
I have learned not to be greedy--not to read too much.
But to read lightly until something is highlighted
as meaningful. Then I am content to have that one
first fruits of an inspiriation to lead me to other
realizations. If I keep reading and plowing
through--ignoring the delicate inner inspiration--
I lose the magic and end up with nothing.

Popular Posts