'Tis when the lights of earth are gone, The heavenly glories shine ; When other comfort I have none, Thy comfort, Lord, is mine

I have long been a fan of Mary Tileston and her  
Daily Strength for Daily Needs
Now now look at what I have found!
 
Sursum Corda: 
Hymns for the Sick and Suffering.
 
Here is just a small sample. 




And blessings to 
archive.org who has published the whole
public domain book. 

There are some wonderful selections here. 
 
 
 
EVENING HYMN. 

I REST beneath the Almighty's shade ; 
My griefs expire, my troubles cease ; 
Thou, Lord, on whom my soul is stayed, 
Wilt keep me still in perfect peace. 

Wherefore in confidence I close 
My eyes, for Thine are open still ; 

My spirit, lulled in calm repose, 
Waits for the counsels of Thy will. 

After Thy likeness let me rise, 

If here Thou wiliest my longer stay ; 

Or close in mortal sleep mine eyes, 
To open them in endless day. 



Charles Whelby. 
 
 
 
 Long I resisted, mourned, complained, — 

Wished any other lot my own : 
Thy purpose, Lord, unchanged remained, — 

What Wisdom planned. Love carried on. 

Year after year I turned away. 

But marred was every scheme I planned ; 
Still the same lesson, day by day. 

Was placed before me by Thy hand. 

At length Thy patient, wondrous love. 

Unchanging, tender, pitying, strong, 
Availed that stubborn heart to move, 

Which had rebelled, alas ! so long. 

Then I was taught by Thee to say, 

" Do with me what to Thee seems best ; 

Give, take, whatever Thou wilt away. 
Health, comfort, usefulness, or rest ; 

" Be my whole life in suffering spent ; 

But let me be in suffering Thine, — 
Still, O my Lord, I am content. 

Thou now hast made Thy pleasure mine." 

Charlotte Elliott. 
 
 
 THE WAYSIDE WATCHER. 

HAVE ye known the shadows darken 
On weary nights of pain, 
And hours that seem to lengthen 

Till the night comes round again ? 
The folded hands seem idle : 

If folded at His word, 
'Tis a holy service, trust me. 
In obedience to the Lord. 

None shall e'er lack a service. 

Who only seek His will, 
And He doth teach His children 

To suffer and be still. 
In love's deep fount of treasures 

Such precious things are stored, 
Laid up for you, O blessed. 

That wait upon the Lord ! 

Anna Shipton. 
 
 
 
FOR A WAKEFUL NIGHT. 

NOW darkness over all is spread, 
No sounds the stillness break ; 
Ah ! when shall these sad hours be fled, 
Am I alone awake ? 

Ah no ! I do not wake alone, 

Alone I do not sleep : 
Around me ever watcheth One 

Who wakes with those who weep. 

On earth it is so dark and drear. 
With Him so calm and bright. 

The stars in solemn radiance clear 
Shine there through all our night. 




'Tis when the lights of earth are gone, 

The heavenly glories shine ; 
When other comfort I have none, 

Thy comfort, Lord, is mine. 

Be still, my throbbing heart, be still. 

Cast off thy weary load. 
And make His holy will thy will, 

And rest upon thy God. 

How many a time the night hath come ! 

Yet still returned the day ; 
How many a time thy cross, thy gloom. 

Ere now hath passed away ! 

And these dark hours of anxious pain 

That now oppress thee sore, 
I know will vanish soon again. 

Then I shall fear no more : 

For when the night hath lasted long. 

We know the morn is near ; 
And when the trial's sharp and strong, 

Our Help shall soon appear. 

Pastor Josephsen.

Popular Posts